Help in Other Ways
As the PFP has grown, we've found that we need more help. Maybe you already donate food through PFP, but you'd like to do more to help. Take a look at this list and see if there's something you'd enjoy doing. Then contact us and let us know how you'd like to help.
- Tabling. A great way to meet new people. Help us set up a table at one of Phoenix's businesses. Then have fun chatting with passersby, thanking current PFP members and signing up new ones. (It really works! In fact, it's our most effective way of getting new members.) We'll supply all the materials and teach you how to do it. We usually work in 2-hour shifts.
- Helping at the Food Bank. On Pickup Day, dozens of volunteers pitch in at the Food Bank, accepting, sorting and stocking the food delivered by the PFP. It's an exciting, celebratory atmosphere. Volunteers generally work in 2- or 3-hour shifts. Pickup Day is the 2nd Saturday of each even month.
- Canvassing. Every once in a while, we organize a group-canvassing effort in a particular area of town, to expand our Food Donor base. Don't worry if you've never knocked on doors before; we'll team you with an experienced canvasser …so you'll have fun with a partner while you learn. It's an important way to keep the PFP growing!
- Special Events. Got a few hours to spare? We can always use help with events …from the 4th of July parade to a potluck dinner. There are plenty of different jobs available for every event. And if you like planning events …well, have we got a job for YOU!
- Steering Committee. Got a few hours to spare? We always need help with organizing and brainstorming, growing the Phoenix Food Project and coming up with ideas to assist the Pantry and the Community Kitchen: the three projects are linked together to serve our community.
- Emergency Pick Ups. Every once in a while a Neighborhood Coordinator gets ill, is out of town, or just plain needs assistance on Pickup Day. So we need a list of people we can call on to pick up food in a pinch. (You need to have a vehicle for this.)
- Sharing Skills. Got a special skill or interest you'd like to share? We can probably use it! Writing, editing, web site or data management, bookkeeping, photography …you name it. Just let us know what you can (or would like to). We'll find a place for it!
2017 Pickup Dates:
- Saturday, Feb. 11th
- Saturday, April 8th
- Saturday, June 10th
- Saturday, Aug. 12th
- Saturday, Oct. 14th
- Saturday, Dec. 9th
Most Needed Items:
- Hearty Soups
- Cooking Oil
- Diapers – infant to adult sizes
- Canned Meat, Tuna & Chicken
- Canned Fruit & Fruit Cocktail
- Pasta Sauce with meat
- Brown & Long Grain White Rice
- Plain Stewed Tomatoes & Tomato Sauce
- Soy, Rice, Canned & Powdered Milk
- Canned Vegetables
- Side Dishes (Pasta, Rice, Hamburger Helper, Rice-a-Roni, etc.)
Especially for Seniors
- Dried Fruits
- Ensure protein drinks
- Low-sodium Pull-tab Soups
- Low-sodium Single-Serving Meals
- Low-sodium Crackers
- Green Tea (regular and decaf)
- Canned Vegetables
- Hard Candies
- Toilet Paper
- Laundry Detergent
- Sanitary Supplies